Vaccine trace involve complex process, consumers and healthcare providers have begun to query the issues of vaccines funding, record keeping, procurement, logistics, storage facilities and the risk of adulterated and expired vaccines making into to health centers, hospitals and pharmacies.
To solve the issues surrounding vaccines and immunization in Africa, Afripera in partnership with BlockTest has developed a Blockchain POC app for Track and Trace of vaccines from the manufacturer to the consumer.
How it worksBlockchain technology can provide a cost-effective solution.
- Vaccine manufactures generate a unique identifiers QSR code for a vaccine package.
- When a manufacturer ships a package they register the item on the Alpha POC blockchain, with information such a serial number, a batch number, and an expiration date.
- The distributor/supplier can extract information from the packaging’s barcode, using a simple scanner mobile app, allowing them to verify history of the vaccine and the delivery of the vaccine to the expected geographical region
Benefits of using blockchain technology
- As vaccines moves through the supply chain, the transactions will be recorded on a blockchain platform, thereby providing a distributed ledger. This will make it possible for all parties to track compliance and governance of vaccines through the entire supply chain. This process will also prevent counterfeit vaccines from being introduced into the supply chain, and distributed to consumers, NGO, Hospitals and Pharmacies.
- Another benefit of using Blockchain vaccine trace is that it helps keep records intact. The records are permanent and immutable due to the decentralized nature of the technology. The records information can be access in real-time anywhere. Consumers, NGO, Hospitals and Pharmacies will be able to get a complete product history on the vaccines
- Builds trust economy amongst stakeholders and as a result lowers access barrier to social impact funds.
- Enables near real-time evaluation of the performance of vaccination programs.
- Creates a secured unique digital health record of children that immunize, thus creating an Immutable health / immunization records that will become digital and mobile.